Trucker Accused in Deadly I-465 Crash Has “History of Careless Driving,” FMCSA Says
Washington D.C. – The Missouri trucker who is accused of causing a fiery crash in Indianapolis last month has been declared an “imminent hazard” to public safety by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
In a press release on Thursday, August 8, the FMCSA ordered 57-year-old Bruce Pollard to not operate any commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce.
The release states Pollard was served the federal order on August 2.
As Transportation Nation Network (TNN) reported last month, the accident happened in in the westbound lanes of I-465 near mile marker 33 shortly after noon on Sunday, July 14.
Witnesses say a big rig, driven by Pollard, crashed into slowed traffic, causing a chain reaction crash.
Twenty-nine year old Alanna Koons and her 18-month-old twin daughters, June and Ruby, died at the scene.
Seven others were hospitalized for injuries.
On July 18, prosecutors formally filed three counts of reckless homicide and one count of reckless operation of a vehicle in a work zone.
Documents filed by Marion County, Ind. prosecutors state computer data from the truck show it was going 65 mph at the time of the crash and didn’t start braking until it hit the first vehicle.
The FMCSA conducted a subsequent investigation and found Pollard had “a history of careless driving.”
FMCSA reported Pollard was disciplined (and later terminated) in April 2019 by his employer for “repeated instances of unsafe driving.”
The FMCSA also stated that upon applying for his most recent truck driving position in June, Pollard failed to disclose his employment and subsequent termination with the company that let him go in the months prior.
Additionally, FMCSA said Pollard “falsely certified on his job application that he had not previously been involved in a crash.”
FMCSA reminded in their release that “it is a violation of USDOT/FMCSA regulations to make fraudulent or intentionally false statements on a federally required, safety sensitive, document.”
FMCSA’s imminent hazard out-of-service order states that Pollard’s “blatant and egregious violations of [federal safety regulations], local operating laws … and ongoing and repeated disregard for the safety of the motoring public … substantially increases the likelihood of serious injury or death to you and the motoring public.”
Failure to comply with the provisions of a federal imminent hazard out-of-service order may result in action by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for equitable relief and punitive damages.
Civil penalties of up to $1,848 may be assessed for each violation of operating a commercial motor vehicle in violation of the order.
Knowing and/or willful violation of the order may also result in criminal penalties.
According to records, Pollard is still being held at the Marion County Jail.
Local news outlet Fox59 reported last month Pollard told a judge he planned to post the required amount to be released on bond.
Pollard’s next scheduled court date is September 26.
LATEST FMCSA NEWS